On average, 170 people per year die in the United States from non-automotive related carbon monoxide poisonings. Sure, that may be a small number. However, it’s 170 too many when you consider how easily all of those deaths could have been prevented by a working carbon monoxide detector. Because carbon monoxide is tasteless and odorless, it can be present at dangerous levels in your home or place of work without anyone knowing. That’s why carbon monoxide is often referred to as the “Silent Killer.” Installing a carbon monoxide detector is a foolproof way to ensure that you and your family never become the victim of a senseless, easily preventable tragedy.

Detectors come in a wide variety of styles. Some can be installed into the ceiling like a traditional smoke alarm, while others can be plugged directly into a wall socket. Either kind is effective, but be sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions on proper placement. Because of the tasteless, odorless nature of carbon monoxide, sleeping individuals are particular susceptible to poisoning. That’s why it’s generally recommended that a detector be present within bedrooms or at least in the hallway outside of them. Depending upon the size of your home, you may also want to place a carbon monoxide detector in other living spaces or in your basement (particularly if you have a furnace).

Crossfire offers state-of-the-art carbon monoxide detectors capable of protecting you and your family. The detectors communicate wirelessly with one another, which means a potential carbon monoxide leak can be detected faster. This gives you and your family more time to react in the event of an emergency. Making the choice to install a detector in your home today will prevent you from becoming one of the 170 reasons that you should’ve owned one tomorrow!

For more on keeping your home safe from carbon monoxide, take a look at our carbon monoxide detectors over at Crossfire Alarms.