If you’ve been keeping up with the news lately, you may remember that water pipe break that occurred in Los Angeles. It was a terrible tragedy for the community, one that only exacerbated the unprecedented drought that the region has been experiencing. Even more, it caused significant damage to surrounding properties, including the Pauley Pavilion at UCLA.

Now, you may be asking yourself, “Why is a company that manufactures carbon monoxide detectors talking about flooding in Los Angeles?” As part of the clean-up efforts at Pauley Pavilion, six people had to be hospitalized as the result of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to a report by KPCC. It seems that they were operating a portable generator in an indoor space, and that the generator didn’t have adequate ventilation to the outdoors. Thankfully, the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning were immediately identified, and those six individuals got the medical attention they needed.

This incident highlights a couple points we’d like to make about carbon monoxide and carbon monoxide poisoning. No doubt you’re one of many families who’s invested in a portable generator in recent years, given all of the terrible weather that the country has been experiencing. If this is case, then make sure that you NEVER use that portable generator indoors. These generators create significant levels of carbon monoxide around them, and can be quite deadly if operated in this fashion.

Also, remember that the dangers of carbon monoxide are everywhere, even in a situation like the one above. For this reason, we recommend that you protect yourself and your family with a carbon monoxide detector and alarm. Because the effects of carbon monoxide can be subtle before they become fatal, this is the only way to properly protect yourself from possible loss of life. So, don’t put yourself and others at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. Purchase a carbon monoxide detector and alarm from Crossfire Alarms today!