Recently, tragedy struck in Richfield, UT, when two teenagers died at their home of carbon monoxide poisoning. According to KSL, the teenagers had been operating a generator in their home to keep warm due to the family’s recent financial difficulties. In their report, KSL quotes the sheriff as saying, “It’s not advised to use a generator in an enclosed area like that. If they would’ve had a carbon monoxide detector, they may still have been alive.”

Indeed, the sheriff is quite correct. Due to misuse, generators cause numerous preventable deaths and injuries due to carbon monoxide poisoning each year. For the exact same reasons that one should never leave a car running in a closed garage, one should never under any circumstances operate a portable generator indoors. Generators are not the only possible source of carbon monoxide within your home, though. Any appliance that operates by combustion is capable of producing it at dangerous levels, and those appliances should always be checked regularly and serviced when operating defectively.

While precautions can be taken to guard against carbon monoxide reaching dangerous levels in your home, the only way to truly protect yourself is to invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Crossfire’s state-of-the-art carbon monoxide detectors are perfect for protecting your home. They are designed in excess of industry standards and communicate with each other wirelessly to offer you and your family an extra measure of safety. In addition, the detectors come in tamperproof battery-operated models that can be easily installed into your home’s CO trouble spots.

Source: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29838517